Sunday, January 4, 2015

Making clothes for the bigger girls, the first time

Happy New Year!  I hope you enjoyed bringing it in and that 2015 just gets better for you.

Today, I finally finished a week long project of making a sweater and coordinated skirt for each of the three bigger fashion girls in my collection.  I'm glad I have kept pulling myself back from trying to buy and each time I am tempted, I force myself to go sew.  I'm not saying I won't buy any outfits (I know my limitations).  After all, one must support her fellow talented doll enthusiasts.  But, I also need to enjoy the fun that comes with making your own items. 

Although I have been accumulating fabrics from either JoAnn's or baby clothes I got at the thrift store last year, I used socks and only socks to make the outfits.  I got the idea from My Froggy Stuff (I learn a lot from those videos) and at $1 for three pairs of socks, the cost is comparable to buying fat quarters for $1.49 - $1.99.  The plus is that these are pretty much pre-shaped for me.  The edge of the sock is the right size for the top of a skirt (and, although I didn't use for it, the bottom)  and the top and bottom of a sweater. 

I even figured out a few things.  The toes of the socks can work for arched short sleeves and the heels can be used for some halter tops (I'll wait for Spring and Summer show those/ still some work to do).  Like Froggy encourages, be creative and use everything.

Here are some photos I took of the girls in their outfits (more will be on the photo shoots page). 


I thought they would pass the time together.
 







I am still working on the sitting room.  I used it for Christmas photos.  I'm a little sad I didn't prepare in time for New Year's Eve photos, but preparing better for holiday photos will be one of my goals this year.  I will add a post for all of my goals for my doll collecting, clothes designing, photos and dioramas/interior design (including some more dimensions to my dioramas) this year.  I have some specific things I'd like to do and I really want to accomplish them. 
 
If it weren't for this full-time job, I could get things done.  But, darn it, if it weren't for this full-time job, I couldn't afford to do any of these things.  Catch 22 wins again.
 
Thanks for stopping by.  I'm looking forward to sharing lots more with you this year.

10 comments:

  1. Hi, you made lovely creations! The girls look very beautiful in their outfits, and I love the pictures with the clock where they spend time together :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I keep trying to find ways to take photos using things around the house. I think I need more props.

      Delete
  2. I love these outfits! I am going to have to try this idea. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. Please share if you do. I love seeing the creative things other people do.

      Delete
  3. Your girls' outfits coordinate so nicely together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I love all the outfits, but that purple and green one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  5. That purple and green outfit is my favorite too! Great job on all of the clothes. I love socks for making clothes. I have made sweaters for quite a few of my guys using them and dresses and skirts are also good options. So what size are these dolls? I am thinking maybe 16 inch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Phyllis. Yes, they are 16" dolls. I have way more of the 11.5 to 12" dolls. So I need to focus on clothes for them. Having the socks as easy to coordinate options should work out, I hope.

      Thank you so much or the compliment on outfits.

      Delete

Hi. I truly appreciate your reading my blog and your comments. I enjoy the interaction. As soon as I check to be sure your comment is not from a bot or some other unreliable source, it will be posted.

Have a great day!