Friday, October 30, 2015

Getting Ready to Launch

Ember is in her office waiting for Zenia and Jye to arrive for their first business meeting.  While she waits, she is on the phone with Henna.  Let's join them in the middle of their conversation.

 
Henna: But Mom won't be here until the middle of November anyway.  Besides, we still don't know who's hosting Thanksgiving dinner, let alone Christmas.
Ember:  Well, it doesn't matter.  Even by the middle of November, I won't have room for her.  I think it's better if she stays with you.  You have more room for her than I do.
Henna:  Yes, but I have company over sometimes.
Ember:  Umm.  Not to be crude, but your company is usually in your room.
Henna (laughing):  That was crude.  True, but crude. I don't need Mom coming into morning after breakfast and giving someone the third degree.
Ember:  Henna, she knows you're grown. 
Henna:  Perhaps. (sighs and pauses for a minute)  Okay, she can stay with me. Work may keep me busy though.

 
Ember:  Way to channel your resistance.  I'm sure it will be fine.
Henna:  It will be once I get another primary contractor.  My secondary contractors are okay, but they tend to work around other schedules and I need someone good and focused.  Sorry, but I'm worried about having to turn down new jobs and not ready to lose any current design jobs.
Ember (thinks for a few seconds):  Hey, remember Avery's brother?  Umm (thinks for a minute) P..Pete.  No, Parker.  I guess I was thinking Peter Parker.  Anyway, what about him?  He's looking for something steady.  I don't know how good he is, but maybe he's available.
Henna:  Well, I could meet with him at least and see what he can do.  Do you have his number?
Ember:  No, but I have Avery's.  Didn't you get it after the party?
Henna:  Oh! Yes, I do have it. It was my idea to get numbers and we have yet to get together.


Ember hears the doorbell, followed by Erwyn announcing that someone is at the door.

Ember:  Hold on, Henna.  (yelling to Erwyn) Okay!  I'll get it!  I'll be up in a minute! (back to Henna)
Sorry, I have to go.  One of my models is here.  Give Avery a call and get Parker's number.  We'll work on holiday dinners later.  Okay?
Henna:  Yes.  I'll talk to you later.  Goodbye.
Ember:  Bye.

Ember heads upstairs to greet her guest.  Jye is the first to arrive.  Ember brings her back to the office.


Ember:  Thank you for coming and arriving early.  That's always good, especially when you have to arrive for a shoot.
Jye:  Thank you.  I was so happy to hear from you about meeting.  I was thinking it has to be something good.
Ember:  It is, but I don't want to get into that until Zenia arrives.  Please have a seat and let's catch up.


Ember:  How are things with school?
Jye:  They are going well.  I'm going to cut back on classes next semester, but that's just to give me a chance to see how things go with modeling assignments. 
Ember:  That's a good idea.  But don't give up on the finishing your degree.  Keep taking those courses.
Jye:  I plan to finish my degree. 
Ember:  Good.  I do think you will have plenty of assignments in the coming months, so we'll work together to see how to make things work.
Jye:  Thank you.  I will need some guidance.  My parents were a little worried, but still excited that I have this opportunity.  Although not everyone is excited.


Ember:  Really?  Is someone discouraging you?  Don't let anyone keep you from working toward your goals.
Jye (sighing):  Well, it's Lisa.  It was her idea to bring me here.  When you told her that you would pass on her she was upset.  But then she found out you wanted me to work with you and she was very upset.
Ember:  Oh.  I know she was excited and hopeful.  Unfortunately, modeling is not for everyone.  Hopefully she will be able to move on.  I don't want to get in the middle of your business, but I can say that a real friend will support you.  So give her some time.  Maybe she will come around.
Jye:  I hope so.

Just as Jye is finishing her sentence, the doorbell rings.
Ember:  Please excuse me.  That should be Zenia.


Ember goes upstairs and after a couple of minutes, she returns with Zenia.
Ember:  Jye, this is Zenia.  Zenia, this is Jye.  You are both my first two employees.
Zenia:  Hello, Jye.  That's such a unique name.  I like it.
Jye:  Hello.  Thank you.  I actually think your name is pretty.
Zenia:  Aww.  Thank you.
Ember:  Well, you both have something in common already.  Two pretty girls with pretty names.  Zenia, please have a seat and we'll get started.


Ember:  Ladies.  First, I am very excited that you have had a chance to meet each other.  I'm also happy that we are having our first meeting.  But most importantly, even with the limited photos I have of you, I was able to land you both an assignment for a catalog shoot.  You will be at the same shoot together on November 1.

Zenia and Jye utter sounds of excitement.

Zenia: It's all very exciting!  Thank you.
Ember: Yes.  I do have plans to get a photographer to help put more professional portfolios together for you both.  We'll get that done soon.  However, your portfolios will really start to fill up and out with photos from paid work, because that's your resume.  Plus, I want to select photos from a professional shoot to add to one of the frames behind me. 

 
Zenia:  I don't mean to interrupt, but I would like to know if you have any tips and things we should be aware of for shoots?
Ember:  As a matter of fact I do.  No drastic changes to you diet.  No changes to soaps that could affect your skin.  Be on time, if not early.  Actually, I did list out several expectations on a document I am giving you this evening, along with the modeling agreement.  Let me give you those now.



Ember hands folders to Zenia and Jye.
Ember:  These will do for now to hold documents.  I'd like you to read over the information and ask any and all questions you have. 


Jye:  Will you go to the photo shoots with us?
Ember:  Good question. I will not be able to attend all of your photo sessions, but I do plan to attend as many as I can.  I'd like to see how you work, see what tips I can offer based on performance and also make sure I can be there to support you whenever possible.  You're my commodities, so I am investing a lot in you.  Plus, I mean it when I say we are going to be like family.  So I'll be there for you every chance I get.


Ember:  I have your files right here.  Please make sure you keep me updated with any plans you have so I can plan accordingly.  If you have to travel home or you have holiday plans.  Whatever they may be, I need to know when you're not available.


Jye turns to Zenia.

Jye:  Have you ever modeled before? 
Zenia:  No, I haven't.  My aunt is a model, but I rarely see her and she hasn't exactly been open about modeling with me.
Jye:  Who is your aunt?  Would I have seen her in something?
Zenia: Probably lots.  My aunt is Chambray Andrews.  She's a supermodel.
Jye (gasping in awe): Wow!  I know who she is.  She's stunning!  No wonder you are getting into modeling.  It must be in your genes. 


Zenia:  Thank you.  Well, I'm doing this on my own.  But I'm glad Ember believes in me.
Jye:  Me too.  At least we'll be able to be together at this first shoot.  We should exchange information.  We could try to meet up and go together or at least we can be there for each other.
Zenia:  Yep.  That sounds good.
Ember:  I do hope you two start working well together.  You may not always get the same jobs, but when you do, I expect you will at least show solidarity as you represent Journey Talent Agency.  I know you want to talk, but I think we should go through some items I want to review.

Zenia and Jye both agree and they listen as Ember reviews her expectations, the details of the catalog shoot, what they should bring, how to present themselves and some other contract and communication items she wanted to cover.


After the meeting, Zenia and Jye exchange numbers.
Ember: Ladies, this is just the first of many meetings.  As we grow, we'll probably have to find another place.  But when that happens and we're larger, you'll be able to say you remember when.  I know I will.
Zenia:  Thank you so much for this.  I am so excited.
Jye:  Yes, Thank you.  This is going to be great.  I hope I can do a good job.
Ember:  I have confidence in both of you.  You'll be fine. I appreciate you both.  Let's show the fashion world that Journey Talent Agency is here and here to stay.  Right?
Jye and Zenia both cheerfully agree.  Ember says a few more encouraging words and then walks Jye and Zenia out so they can go home.

Side Note:  I finally got decent lighting for all of the rooms in Ember's townhome and the day care center.  I am using 20 bulb Christmas lights for now.  They don't stay plugged in, but they are lighting up these rooms pretty well. 

Thanks for stopping by. ~ Jaye

12 comments:

  1. Great post Jaye, I love your dialogues, and the characters too!
    it must be very hard to light properly these scenes, and you did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Billa. I was ready your recent post where you had a photo shoot and talked about the lens you used. I had to laugh at myself. I'm not that savvy with a camera. I have one lens, the one that came on it and I hope it works out when I point and click. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jaye! Great story! I hope Lisa will be able to move on, it's a bitter pill, but the modelling world is tough! You did excellent research, or do you have experience in real life? I really like the characters, and the conversations, it's all very lifelike. I wish the girls good luck on November 1, and you a happy Halloween :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I know, poor Lisa. She seems to be in her own little world. They girls should have fun at their photo shoot.

      Delete
  3. Great photo story! I love your storytelling. It is always on point (very life like). Thanks for the tip on the Christmas lights. Lighting is always a problem for me. I try to shoot pictures with the blinds open to get good lighting. Looking forward to reading about more of the modeling agency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Georgia Girl. I don't completely get the whole lighting thing yet. I just know I need some and I try to avoid shadows, if I can.

      Delete
  4. Love Love Love!! I was totally drawn into this story and look forward to the next episodes!!! Ember's office is GREAT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenova. I have so many story lines to get up. It would be helpful if I could stop buying dolls. Some don't even have a name or life yet, but they are looking forward to camera time.

      Delete
  5. Oh boy! I love the names especially the ones that are shades of color. Your doll choices are cute! Your dialogue is so smooth and natural. I also like the angles you choose to photograph from. I am looking forward to following up on your stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grandmommy. Sometimes the dolls tell me their names, but most of the time, I do a lot of research and give names a lot of thought. They have to fit and I hope I am mixing it up.

      Delete
  6. You have some very engaging dialog. It's easy to get caught up in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Thank you, Muff. I hope they stay engaging for you.

      Delete

Hi. I truly appreciate your reading my blog and your comments. I enjoy the interaction. As soon as I check to be sure your comment is not from a bot or some other unreliable source, it will be posted.

Have a great day!