Friday, January 8, 2016

All-American Family Furniture

I had seen All-American Family furniture on the Walmart site.  I thought about purchasing it, but was hoping to see it up close and personal in the store.  While traveling this week, I visited a Walmart and there they were.  Two of the sets on clearance for $4.00 per box (they were $5, so I still would have bought them) - the kitchen set and the bathroom and laundry set.  

I knew I really wanted to get two inexpensive toilets for a restaurant bathroom.  So even for $4.00 per toilet, if I never use anything else in the box, it was a good deal.  I'm actually pretty pleased with what I got.  I grabbed a few already dressed participants to test out the furniture for size.

Everything is purple in this set, which has to change.

The chairs are a comparable height to Barbie chairs and the table is a good size for place settings. The table is high enough for Marcel to fit his legs under, but tough for Chase.  Still, not bad.  Chambray and Jadyn are trying out the stools.  Both can fit comfortably in them.  Jadyn's legs dangle a little (as they should) and Chambray's touch the floor in her heels.


 The full kitchen set.

Next, the bathroom & laundry set.


The box.
 The items out of the box.  Not planning on using the washer and dryer for a washer and dryer, but I may have an idea on what to do with them.  Yes!  It has just come to me as I type.  Sorry, you'll have to see later.  

The table is supposed to be for folding laundry, but as you can see, it works perfectly with the stools for a bar/counter height table. The tub (which I'll review below) is an okay fit.  The toilet (also reviewed below) is really good.

 The Barbie tub on the bottom is a little longer (maybe 3/4 of an inch) than the other tub.  
 The Barbie tub is higher and has the faucet, of course.  The shorter tub seems more fit for a sexy scene than for actual functionality.  I know you are thinking it too.

 The Barbie tub is thinner than the other tub.

 Just trying to give another view of how much wider the other tub is.

Jadyn and Marlin jumped in so you can see how they fit in each tub.  Jadyn had to (dare I say it?) spread out a little to keep her feet covered by water.  Marlin can't spread her arms as far, but she will be fully wet from the bottom of her chest down.
  
The toilet height allows for a more comfortable seating.  It's higher than the Barbie toilet and wider, which means even the muscular guys and the taller guys shouldn't have an issue.  Which reminds me, I may need another toilet for the men's room.  I guess just urinals will not be enough...I guess.  

Top view. The handle can just be painted and Voila! a ready toilet. I do have to warn you, however, that there is no bowl inside.  When you open the lid (and it does open) you just see the floor.  The best part about the toilet lid is that it won't stay open.  No more having to remind the guys about closing it.  The ladies are lining up to get one in their houses.

The Barbie toilet is a little longer, but it's not such a bad trade off for a wider bum (what show have I been watching to want to use that word?) to be accommodated.

I will say that painting these items is going to require some scrubbing and sanding.  These things are so shiny and slick, I think they are glowing.  No wonder Chambray and Jadyn kept sliding off those bar stools.

Well, if you're looking to save money on some items and not set on high quality, these are not bad.  There is one more set I'm going to see if I can find.  It has more pieces, including lamps, televisions and some other general things which are completely worth my purchasing for $4 or $5.

Thanks for stopping by. ~ Jaye

25 comments:

  1. I got tht bth set want 2 get more sets once I'm back hm. Nice post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I'm curious to see what you will do with the washer and dryer! LOL for the toilet part, especially that the ladies are lining up to get one too :-D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I changed my mind already about the washer and dryer, but I am going to figure it out.

      Delete
  3. These are pretty cool for € 5, I look forward to see them after you'll repaint them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. Great pieces for $5. If you use the 2X Krylon spray paint, sanding and scrubbing will not be necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Thanks for the advice, Vanessa. I will try that. I have had concerns with painting plastic. I spray paint it when I can and use Krylon Covermaxx. But I always degrease and soap it up first. I'll try without the sanding and scrubbing.

      Delete
    2. Don't get the one with the primer included. It doesn't work as well as the plain one. It has been a godsend. I was a horrible painter before I found that stuff. Don't forget to add a sealer.

      Delete
    3. Okay. I'll remember that. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Nice sets! I could use a few more toilets too! I am also very curious to see what you do with the washer and dryer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth it, Phyllis. I'm glad I found them. I wish they had bowls, but if it really bothers me, I'll paint and glue either a gumball machine ball or a plastic Easter egg to the bottom.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jaye. I have been using these sets for quite awhile. They are awesome. I just repaired them using spray paint designed for use on plastic and they look great! I got my paint from Lowes and Home Depot. I needed a lot of chairs for one scene and these were the best price. The living room and bedroom set is nice too. The twin beds are long and the living room chairs are wide enough for two slim dolls. A great investment for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the birthday party scene? I like that one. I wish I could get more chairs and tables for my next restaurant. I'll have to keep looking.

      Delete
  7. I really like these sets and looked at our local Walmart today, sadly they did not have them. I will have to try a neighboring town. Thanks for posting them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are hard to find. I was hours away from home when I found them. I hope you can find them.

      Delete
  8. Nothing like more furniture! The Barbie bathtub does look better for a nice, relaxing soak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I look at it and I see a small table next to it with a bottle of wine. Maybe some candles in the room, some music playing and a warm towel around the neck so one of the ladies can lay back. I see a dio!

      Delete
  9. Very good deals for the price. I believe I saw a living room set at my Walmart also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I was happy to find them. I want more tables and chairs.

      Delete
  10. Very nice review! I also purchased the table set. Did you know that there is a house? I can't wait to see your repaint. I know it will be nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they had the house (on the to shelf), but I am trying to start building upward (to save space) using shelving units. So as much as I was tempted to look at the house, I had to let it go.

      Delete
  11. I can always find such cool items when I read your blog. I also tag you for the Liebster Award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brini. I'm trying to limit my spending this year. Hopefully that will challenge me to become more creative with current resources. Of course, I cannot make a toilet, so that is one thing I have to buy, but preferably at a discount.

      Delete
  12. Those are some great pieces - especially at those prices! Thanks for sharing them (now I'm going to have to keep a look out for them)! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I truly appreciate your reading my blog and your comments. I enjoy the interaction. As soon as I check to be sure your comment is not from a bot or some other unreliable source, it will be posted.

Have a great day!