Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Isis' Cake Tasting

Today is Isis' appointment with Marisol and Rowan to taste and select a wedding cake design.  Rowan only attends tastings when she is also handling the catering for an event.  It helps her to build a relationship with the clients as well as understanding their tastes for when she suggests food options.

Unfortunately, Tyson, her fiancé is working again and cannot make it.  Isis is fine with it for two reasons, Tyson freely gives her money to pay for wedding items and her brother, Rahim, is with her.  They are pretty close and she values his advice when it comes to food since he's a chef. 

Marisol has welcomed them into the space she uses for cake selections for customers.  She rents it as needed, which is perfect for her to keep overhead costs low.  Isis is immediately excited about the decorated cakes Marisol has set out.

Isis:  Wow!  Those are beautiful.  I'm so excited.  Isn't this exciting?
Rahim:  Of course it is. 
Marisol:  Yes, I just love making cakes for weddings.  It's such a special day for couples.
Isis: It sure is. 
Marisol:  I do have several photos of cakes for you to look at sitting on the table.  If you don't see anything you'd like, you can always design your own or pick elements from one to add to another.  There are so many options from which to choose.
Isis:  Okay.  That sounds good.
Marisol:  Please have a seat and start looking through them.

Isis and Rahim sit down and start looking through the cake photos.


Isis:  This is very nice.  I don't know if I want something without color.  I think colors could make it really pop.
Rahim:  You're probably right.  But what about the style?
Isis:  I don't know if I want anything over the top or simple. 
Marisol:  It's not an easy choice, but I'm sure something will speak to you. You'll know when it's right.
Isis: I hope so.

Rowan walks in.


Rowan:  Hey, sorry I'm a little late.
Marisol: It's okay.  They just arrived and, as you can see, are just now looking at cake options. 
Rowan:  Good.  Any ideas yet?
Marisol:  No, nothing yet.

Marisol:  Rowan is here since she is working on the catering for the reception.  Rowan, Isis and Rahim are also going to taste some items.  Maybe a flavor match will help guide the cake selection.
Isis:  Hi.  It's nice to see you again.
Rahim:  Yes, it's very nice to see you.  You look very lovely today. 
Isis: That is a nice shirt.
Rowan:  Thank you both.
Marisol:  Rowan, have a seat and I'll go grab the tasting plate and I'll be right back.

Marisol runs to grab the cake tasting plate, two small plates and forks.  She returns and starts explaining how it works.

Marisol:  In order to decide on the cake flavors and frosting, you take a small piece of cake and some of a frosting you'd like to try and taste them together.  You can choose to different flavors and use one as a filling if you'd like.
Isis:  Oh!  I like that idea.  Well, maybe.  But these frostings look good.

Marisol:  The cake flavors are lemon, vanilla and chocolate.  The frostings are chocolate, raspberry, strawberry, lemon and vanilla buttercream.

Isis:  I will enjoy tasting these, but I think vanilla buttercream is classic.  What do you think, Rahim?
Rahim:  I do think there should be a vanilla buttercream option.  Maybe you could choose a groom's cake too and have that be a different flavor.
Isis:  I like that idea.  Think about what will work.
Rahim:  Rowan, do you have any recommendations based on the catering menu?
Rowan:  Well, I can say that it would be a nice option to offer another dessert which can pair with the cake.  Something like fresh fruit or a yogurt.  There are some things which will work.
Rahim:  Okay.  I like that.  Brains and beauty.

Isis:  Rahim, I don't want to leave today without making the cake selections.  We have time to work on the catering menu.  Let's concentrate.
Rahim:  Yes, ma'am.  I will concentrate.
Rowan:  Is the cake good?
Isis:  I think it's delicious.
Rahim:  Me too.
Isis (to Marisol and Rowan):  Please excuse us while we debate this.

Isis:  I'm thinking we should definitely go with vanilla cake and vanilla buttercream.  Most people like it. 
Rahim:  If that's what you want.  I do think it's a good idea.  I know you want a crowd pleaser, but pick what you like.
Marisol (to Rowan):  I think I need to go grab another small cake from the kitchen. 
Rowan:  Okay.

Marisol asks to excuse herself and stands up.  At the same time, Isis realizes she needs to use the restroom and stands up.

Isis:  Would you mind pointing me to the direction of the restroom?
Marisol:  Sure.  Just go back down the hallway and the second door on the left is the restroom. They keep it very clean.

Marisol leaves, but Rahim asks Isis if he can talk to her privately for a minute.  Isis agrees and asks Rowan if she minds giving them a second alone because they don't want to be rude by whispering.  Rowan understands and walks over to look at the cakes on the table.

Isis:  Okay.  What is it?
Rahim:  I'm really attracted to Rowan: I think I should ask her out.  What do you think?  Would you be bothered about me doing that here?
Isis:  No, it doesn't bother me.  I'm leaving the room anyway, so do it while I'm gone.  I think she's pretty and from what I see, I like her personality.  Go for it, Bro.
Rahim:  Thanks.  Now scoot.

Isis leaves to find the restroom, so Rahim takes advantage of the opportunity.

Rahim:  So Rowan, you do all of this catering and helping other people get married, are you married?
Rowan:  No, I'm not.  But it's not a requirement to help someone else have a special day.
Rahim (laughing):  Point taken.  So does your business keep you busy?  I'll bet it takes up a lot of your time.
Rowan:  Well, I enjoy it.  It can be hard sometimes, but it's worth it in the end.
Rahim:  Well one day I plan to have my own business too.  Believe it or not, in the same field.  I'm a chef.
Rowan:  How nice. 
Rahim:  Well, I like a woman who has a head on her shoulders.  As a matter of fact, I'd like to ask you out on a date.  I find you very attractive and I'd like to get to know you better.

Rowan feels her face burning.  She thinks to herself:  This man is ridiculous.  I thought he was flirting before, but now his fiancé leaves the room, he thinks I'm going to buy into this?

Rowan isn't sure what to do and starts to leave, but then decides to turn around and give Rahim a piece of her mind.

Rowan:  You should be ashamed of yourself, asking me out the moment Isis leaves the room.  That takes some nerve.  No, I will not go out with you.  You are unbelievable.

Rahim understands if Rowan is not interested, but he is now surprised and stumped by Rowan's reaction. 

Rowan:  Yes, that's it.  Sit there looking shocked like you are surprised.  I don't know what type of woman you are used to, maybe you like having side chicks, but that's not me.

Just then Isis walks in and catches Rowan fussing at Rahim.  She doesn't understand why.

Isis:  What's going on here?  Why are you so upset?  Rahim what did you say?
Rowan (sighing):  I'm so sorry, Isis.  This may be upsetting to you, but I have to tell you.  Rahim asked me out on a date.  That's why I am upset.  I can't believe it.  I'm sorry this happened.
Isis:  Oh!  Well I'm sorry that it upset you.  If I had known it would, I wouldn't have encouraged him to do so.  I thought my leaving the room would give you the opportunity to talk alone.
Rowan:  Wait!  What?  You knew he was going to ask me out?

Isis:  Yes, he wanted to be sure I wouldn't be upset with him for doing so here. 
Rowan:  You're okay with it?
Isis:  Sure.  You're pretty and I think you have a nice personality.  I think it would be nice for you to get together.  But I didn't think you'd get so upset.
Rowan:  Let me get this straight.  You encouraged him to ask me out and don't have a problem with your own fiancé dating someone else.  What is this, some sort of open relationship?

Isis:  My what doing what?  Oh, my! 

It takes Isis a few seconds to figure out what is going on, but when she does, she starts laughing. 
Rowan stares at her.

Isis: Rowan, I know where we went wrong here.  Rahim is not my fiancé.  He's just my brother.  I guess we never realized you didn't know that.  We just assumed.  Hmm...I guess we never made that clear.


Rowan (looking at Rahim):  You're her brother?
Rahim:  Yes, as she puts it, just her brother.  I'm just here because her fiancé can't make it.  Plus, as I told you, I'm a chef.  So I'm here for advice.
Isis:  He's a great guy.  He's single and he would never cheat on someone.  Well, at least not if he wants to stay my brother. 
Rahim:  I wouldn't do that to someone.  I wouldn't want it done to me.

 Rowan:  Good grief.  I'm so embarrassed now.  I was so upset and for no reason.  It never occurred to me to ask.  This the second time I've seen you together, about your wedding too, Isis.  I just assumed he was your fiancé.  I'm so sorry for my behavior.
Isis:  Well, there's no need to apologize.  You had the proper reaction had he been my fiancé, but now that you know he's not, I'm going to sit down and let you work this out.

Isis sits down and Rahim walks over to Rowan to talk to her.

Rahim:  So, now that you know I'm not the horrible guy you thought for a minute there, I'm hoping you'll reconsider.  Besides, you wouldn't want an unsatisfied customer on your hands.
Isis: Correction.  I'm the customer, you're just here for support.  If you're going to ask for satisfaction, get me a discount.  Other than that, you're on your own.
Rowan (laughing):  She's right the discount would be more appropriate.
Rahim:  She'll be okay.  I just need a chance to get to know you.

Marisol finally returns:

 Marisol:  Sorry about that.  I took a phone call, but I'm here now.  You'll enjoy this cake.

Marisol realizes that Rowan and Rahim are talking and Rowan has this strange look on her face.

Marisol: Is everything okay?
Rowan:  Yes, everything is just fine.

 Rahim:  Do you need help with that? 
Marisol:  No, thank you.  I appreciate the offer.

 Isis:  Rahim, can you please join me?  I want you to taste this combination.

Rahim dutifully returns to his chair at Isis' request.

Marisol:  What was that about?
Rowan:  Girl, I'll explain more later, but he's her brother, not her fiancé. 
Marisol:  What?
Rowan:  Let's just finish this appointment.  We'll talk later.
Marisol:  Okay.

Isis:  Well, that was an interesting scene.  Next time, you're interested in someone, we need to make sure they know we're related. 
Rahim:  You aren't kidding.  Especially women who wield knives for a living.  That could have been brutal.
Isis:  She didn't have knife in her hand.
Rahim:  But she can get one and she knows how to use it.

They finish the taste testing appointment and after much stress, Isis selects a cake.  Rahim gets Rowan's number so they can set a date. 

WRITER'S NOTE

I made all of the cakes on the table, except the one in the back on the far left (which is Re-ment).  I bought a new paper based clay which has totally changed my ability to work with clay.  I love it!  Here a closer look at the cakes.


Thanks for stopping by. ~ Jaye

14 comments:

  1. Paper based clay?! That sounds intriguing. Excellent job with your cakes.

    Ah, a new budding romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I use air dry clay and had been using Crayola brand. It sticks to your hands and is heavy and just not smooth. I did some research and finally found an air dry clay video. When I watched her work with it, I knew it was the clay for me. She also did a comparison of clays, so I ordered a small package of what she recommended, but purchased another brand of similar clay to try.

      I love it. I could never had made those cakes with the Crayola brand, it's only good for creating the hidden base.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the compliment on the cakes.

      Delete
  2. Cakes are beautiful! You are very talented! This story was pretty funny too! Loved Rowan's reaction to him when he asked her out. Their 1st date should be very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phyllis! These two could be quite a pair.

      Delete
  3. What nice looking cakes! And now I want cake! Mmm, buttercream frosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barb. I've been thinking about cake a lot lately too.

      Delete
  4. The cakes look great! You should consider selling them on etsy. Awesome photo story as always!!! I hope something good develop between Rahim and Rowana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Georgia Girl. I posted a couple of these cakes on Instagram and got requests from two people to make cakes. It's so flattering.

      I feel like I need to do better to put some on Etsy, but I do appreciate the encouragement.

      Delete
  5. Man, I need to really step up my game. I love those cakes! I have been planning to venture into making my Dollie food but just have had the time to gather my supplies but now I will definitely work on my list. This was one another funny story I enjoyed reading too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brini! I have been planning this episode for months, but just couldn't do it until I had those cakes ready. Who goes to a cake testing without cakes, right?

      I can't wait to see what you make.

      Delete
  6. Jaye, those cakes look so good, I'm sitting here, reading your blog and getting mighty hungry!!!. That vanilla buttercream option sounds delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, April! I've been wanting cake recently too. Too much cake on the brain.

      Delete
  7. Those cakes look great! Nice job on your first time making your own cakes!

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I truly appreciate your reading my blog and your comments. I enjoy the interaction. As soon as I check to be sure your comment is not from a bot or some other unreliable source, it will be posted.

Have a great day!