Monday, March 6, 2017

A Quick Stop?

It's Valentine's Day evening and Parker is on his way to pick up Ember for their date.  He makes a stop along the way because he wants to drop off Valentine's cards for Avery and Aviana.  When he arrives, Avery is in Aviana's room putting on her pajamas following her bath.  Craig greets Parker at the door and, although Parker just wants to drop off the cards and leave, Craig encourages him to come in for a few minutes.

Craig:  I'm sure they'll be out in a few minutes.  (raising his voice so Avery can hear him) Babe, Parker's here. 
Avery (from the room):  Oh!  Okay.  We'll be right out.
Craig (replying to Avery):  Don't take too long.  He has some place to be.
Parker:  Thanks, Craig.  Do you two have plans?
Craig:  We're going to relax and order a movie after Aviana is asleep.  We have some dessert to enjoy. with it.  Oh, and I did get Avery something special, so she's pretty happy.  She's been a little tired and didn't really want to go anywhere.
Parker:  I understand. 
Craig:  Have a seat and we'll chat.
Parker: Thanks, but I'm just going to say 'hi' and then get going.  I just meant for this to be a quick stop.
Craig:  Okay.  Well, I'm going to take the load off.  I had a long day at work.

Craig sits down and almost immediately after he does, Avery and Aviana emerge from Aviana's room.

Aviana:  Hi, Uncle Pawker!
Parker:  Hi, Sweetheart.  It's been a while since I've seen you.  How are you?
Aviana:  Okay. 
Avery:  Hi, Parker.  I'm glad you stopped by.  You seem so busy lately. 
Parker:  Well, with work and everything, I have been busy.  But I didn't forget about Valentine's Day.  I just wanted to drop off these cards.  Aviana's has a little something extra.


Craig:  Avi, isn't it nice Uncle Parker brought you something special for Valentine's Day?
Aviana:  Yes.  I like pwesents.
Craig:  I know you do.
Avery:  Thank you.  So, I understand work keeping you busy, it's the 'everything' I'm curious about.
Parker:  I do have some friends, Avery.  Don't forget, I have a roommate and he has an active social life.  So he invites me to do things.
Avery:  Well, that's nice.

Aviana goes to Parker to pick her up and he does.  Avery asks him to spare a few more minutes.  Parker obliges her and carries Aviana over to the chair where he sits down and places her on his lap.

 Parker:  So Craig says he bought you something special.
Avery (raising her right arm):  Isn't it lovely?  It has a ruby in it.  I love it!
Craig:  You deserve it too.
Aviana:  Daddy said is 'cause Mommy has a big bewy for him. 
Parker:  Is that so?
Aviana:  Mommy eats a wot now.  I guess you get stuff for eating a wot.

Everyone laughs, including Aviana, although she doesn't know that the adults are laughing for another reason. 

Craig:  It's just a couple more days before we can explain with a full and actual picture of the belly situation.  We thought that would be good and make everything clear.
Parker:  Okay.  I get it.  Well Aviana, you'll have to tell me more about Mommy's belly the next time I see you.
Aviana:  Okay.
Craig: So, Parker.  Do you have plans this evening?
Avery:  Yes, do you?
Parker:  Yes, I do.  As a matter of fact, I'll need to get going.  I don't want to be late.
Avery:  So, is it a social thing with Jun or something else?
Parker (laughing):  It's not a social thing with Jun.
Avery:  Uhuh.  So what or should I say who is the something else?

Craig:  Avery, can't you tell when you're not going to get an answer.  At least not the answer you'd like?
Avery:  There's no harm in asking.  It is Valentine's Day, so I'm assuming this might be the same Christmas shopping helper.  Perhaps.
Parker (smiling and blushing):  You've got me there.  But I'm not quite ready to talk about it yet. 
Avery:  Soon?
Parker:  We'll see.  I promise you I'll tell you if and when there is something to tell.  Is that alright?
Avery (frowning):  I guess so. I hope there does become something to tell.
Craig:  Avery, leave the man alone.  There's no need in your getting excited about something until you need to.
Avery:  I guess, but I can hope, can't I?
Parker:  Yes, you can.  Well, I really shouldn't keep my Christmas shopping helper waiting.  So I'll be taking my leave now. 

Parker kisses Aviana goodbye, sets her on the sofa and then stands up to leave.  After he passes Craig and Avery, they both stand up.  Craig is going to walk him to the door and Avery gives Parker a kiss and a hug.  Then she decides to say something else before letting him go.

Avery:  I hope you have a great evening.
Parker:  Thank you. 
Avery:  And I hope she knows and appreciates how special you are.  And I hope things work out.  I can get back in shape in plenty of time to wear a bridesmaid dress.
Craig:  Ave, let the man get to where he needs to go.  Then we can get to where we need to go.  Don't forget we have plans too.
Parker: It's okay, Craig.  I know Avery just wants me to be happy. 
Avery:  That's right.
Parker:  I promise if there's anything to tell, I will tell when the time is right.  Enjoy your evening and good night.

Craig walks Parker to the door and Avery sits next to Aviana to spend more time with her before she's off to bed.

Thanks for stopping by. ~ Jaye

8 comments:

  1. Lol @ Avery's parting words. I guess it's normal to be curious about a sibling's romantic pursuits. I'm an only child so I can't say for sure. Either way, Henna and Avery are cracking me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jewell. These siblings are something else, aren't they. They just need to know.

      I have four sisters and I can tell you it does happen like that in my family.

      Delete
  2. I think Parker is wise to keep family a little in the dark until he knows where this is going. I come from a large family, and sometimes having a significant other at a family function was enough to scare them away!😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think quite a bit is driven by Ember's request to keep it quiet for Erwyn's sake, but Parker does respect that.

      Delete
  3. It seems that Avery wants to a wedding in the family :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. She is hoping Parker will find someone to be with.

      Delete
  4. Great story! Avery looks pretty! She is so determined to find out her brothers' secret. I wonder when they are going public...hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't think Avery can help herself. I also think it's not knowing that makes it so much more intriguing.

      Delete

Hi. I truly appreciate your reading my blog and your comments. I enjoy the interaction. As soon as I check to be sure your comment is not from a bot or some other unreliable source, it will be posted.

Have a great day!