Saturday, April 22, 2017

Finally We'll Know

It's Saturday afternoon and Craig and Avery are at the restaurant where they made plans to meet Parker.  Avery is so excited because Parker is bringing the new lady in his life, whom he has yet to reveal to her and Craig.  Cyann is caring for Aviana. 

Of course, Cyann has known for a while that Ember is seeing Parker, so she was happy when Avery shared with her why she needed a sitter for Aviana.   It was hard for Cyann not to tell, since she is good friends with both Avery and Ember.  But she managed to keep her word to Ember about remaining quiet, not even hinting when Avery has mentioned being curious about who Parker is seeing.  Cyann will also be relieved she doesn't have to keep that secret any longer since she's so happy for Ember.

Parker has not arrived with Ember yet, so while they wait Craig and Avery are chatting.  The server has already brought over the sweet raisin bread they are known for serving. 


Avery:  I'm so anxious.  Isn't this exciting? Finally we'll know who Parker is dating. I wonder what she'll be like. I wonder how they met.  I hope I like her.  No, I don't have to wonder.  If Parker likes her, I will.  I mean, as long as I can tell she's not out to use him or anything, I should.  I guess we'll see.  I so hope she's a good person.  I mean, my brother really likes her or he wouldn't be introducing her, I guess. I don't know.  What do you think, Craig?
Craig (smiling, amused at his wife's excitement):  I think that Parker is old enough to know what he wants and make his own decisions.  Older than you, as a matter of fact.  So you have to respect his decisions.
Avery: I know, but I, well, I just remember the last time he was in love.  She turned out to be not so great.  I mean she was nice, but it didn't work out and she broke his heart.
Craig:  My heart was broken before too, Ave.  But then I met you.  And even if you ever break my heart in the future, it will all have been worth it.  So let him enjoy being happy with whomever for however long.
Avery (beaming lovingly at Craig):  You know I wouldn't break your heart, but that is so sweet of you, Honey.
 
Avery:  This bread looks so delicious. 
Craig:  Don't wait.  Go ahead and have some.
Avery (reaching for the bread):  I sure will.  I hear it's really good.  Do you want some, Honey?
Craig:  No, thank you.  I'm saving room for dessert.  (pauses) I think I'll order some champagne to toast meeting this woman. 
Avery:  Good idea.  Maybe one day you can bring up this toast while making another one at Parker's wedding.
Craig:  Ave, while that may be a possibility, don't get your hopes up until they have time to figure it out.  Besides, you have more immediate things to concentrate on, like our new addition.  We don't have anything for the baby yet.  We need to get a crib and stuff.
Avery: I know.  We do need to do that.  Do you mind if I go with Cyann to the store to look around without you?

Craig:  No, not at all.  As excited as I am about the baby, I am perfectly fine with not shopping.  I just know that there are heavy things to get and I am responsible for getting them.  So if you find a crib and anything big and heavy, just let me know so I can go get them.  I don't want you lifting anything heavy.  That's my job.  Agreed?
Avery:  Of course.  So, I was thinking...

Avery is looking toward the door as she speaks and sees Parker.  Seeing her staring, Craig turns to look too.  They are both very surprised and momentarily speechless as Parker approaches the table with Ember.  As they arrive at the table, Craig stands up.  Both he and Avery have surprised looks on their face.

Parker (grinning widely with his arms loving around Ember):  Hi!  So here's my lady, whom you've been waiting to meet.  I believe you know her.
Avery:  Hi, Ember.
Craig:  Hi, Ember.  Now this is a surprise!  A pleasant one, but still a surprise.  Wow!
Avery:  Wow is certainly an understatement. You two hid this one well.
Ember:  Hi!  I'm sorry about the big surprise, but we had reasons to wait to tell you. 
Craig:  Well, all that matters is you two are together and looking happy, I might add.  Please have a seat and Avery's inquisition can begin.
Ember (laughing):  I'm sure she has lots of questions.  I understand.

Parker helps Ember to her seat then walks over to Avery to give her a kiss on the cheek.  He and Craig then take their seats.

Avery: I don't even know where to start.  When did this happen?  How long you been seeing each other.  I know at least before Christmas.  I still think of you as the elf who helped him get his shopping completed.  By the way, I loved the gifts.  He made some great choices. 
Craig:  Ave, take a breath and let them answer for a minute.  Then you can ask more questions.
Avery (sheepishly): You're right. 
Parker:  I had been attracted to Ember for a while and finally got up the nerve to ask her if I could get to know her.  I was fortunate, and I'm still happy, that she said yes. 
Avery:  What about Erwyn?  This has to be a big change for her.  Does she know?
Ember: Yes, I spoke with her about it and she's fine with it.  We haven't quite all started building that part of the relationship yet.

Parker:  But we will.  If there's a possibility we will be a family, that's important to me.  She'll know I want to be her father, but not replace her father.  I know it will take time, but that's what I want if we get to that point.
Ember (gazing at Parker lovingly): Well, I think she will understand that as long we make it clear through both our actions.  But we have time.
Parker:  Yes, we have time.  No rush, I'm not going anywhere.

As Avery feels her cheeks hurting from smiling so much as she watches Parker and Ember looking at each other, a thought hits her.

Avery: Hey, wait a minute!  When I last saw you at Cyann's, I mentioned wondering who Parker was seeing.  You didn't even flinch. 
Ember (giggling):  I know.  I didn't think I should say anything if Parker didn't tell you.  You're his sister and I respect that.  I respect it the same way he works with my sister, Henna, yet never said a thing.  He left it up to me.  I owed him that in return.
Avery:  Oh! I see.
Craig:  Besides, wouldn't you have rather heard it from Parker?  You know you would have just been chomping at the bit to say something to him.  If Ember respected Parker's need to tell you in his own time, she did the right thing.
Avery: I know you're right.  But I can't help but think I would have known sooner.  Cyann was there, I guess she didn't know either.
Ember:  Please don't hold it against Cyann, but she knew.  She's been my best friend since we were kids.  She knew before my sisters and mother.  I know she's your friend too, but she was between a rock and a hard place.
Avery: She could have at least hinted so I could figure it out, but I get it. 

Parker:  So now that we've hashed that out.  I'm hungry.  We need to order soon.
Avery:  I'm hungry too, although this bread is delicious.  I need a little more.
Craig:  We need to feed her and the alien she's carrying who seems to be dictating quite a lot.
Parker:  Hey, that's my niece or nephew in there.
Ember (laughing):  I have to agree though, babies do a lot of dictating.  It's amazing something so small and new has all that power.
Avery:  Right?  It's crazy.  (to Parker) When are you going to tell Dad? 
Parker: I already called him.  He knows. 
Avery: It figures I'm the last to know. 

The server returns and takes their food order.  Craig also asks for champagne, a sweet blush, so they can toast.  Avery asks for lemonade.  They chat while the server gets puts the order in and gets the drinks.  The server brings the drinks and even brings Avery's lemonade in the same type of glass as the champagne so she won't feel so different from the group. 

Parker:  So what would you like to toast to?
Avery:  We should toast to the stars aligning for a wedding one day. Oh, and future children.  A toast to the future and my soon to be sister-in-law.

Ember's cheeks get hot, she blushes.  Parker just smiles.  Craig shakes his head because Avery can't help but push for what she wants.

Craig:  That sounds like a nice toast, Honey.  But, we can toast to a wedding on the wedding day, should it happen.  Today, let's just pick something more immediately appropriate, shall we?

Craig:  Parker and Ember, I hope that your happiness continues, that you get what you want out of this relationship and that you survive Avery while doing so. 
Avery:  Hey!
Parker:  I'll toast to that!
Ember (laughing):  I have to toast to that too.

Well, Avery finally knows.  She seems to be happy, although she did call Ember out on not telling her. 

By the way, I couldn't have empty glasses for the champagne, so it hit me to put hair gel in the glasses.  That way I have the right color (blush), but with the possibility of spills with knocking over little things (full of liquid), there was less chance spillage if I knocked over any of these glasses. Fortunately, I didn't knock these glasses over and I'm not sure if you can see the 'champagne' since it's so light, but it worked like a charm.  Now you know I'm going to have to try this with future drinks and adding color I may need. 

Thanks for stopping by. ~ Jaye


Avery:  Did you all know Parker and Ember were dating before I knew?  Some readers you are. Someone could have clued me in, sent an anonymous message, dropped me a note, done something to help me out.  That's okay.  That's exactly why you're all going to wait until after the baby is born to find out the baby's gender.  So there.  I'll know something before you.  How does that feel?  Next time you're in on the secret and don't want to help me out, remember that. 

18 comments:

  1. I loved this episode. Especially Avery's "scolding" at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I can't believe Avery jumped on here to do that. But I don't mess with pregnant women, so I just left it alone.

      Delete
  2. This was a very sweet story. Avery is so funny! Keeping the baby's gender a secret from us! It won't keep us frpm trying to guess though. I mean we have a 50/50 chance of being right! Oh, and Avery, you look positively glowing tonight! I really like your hair and your dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phyllis. Avery is just hanging on to the only thing she has for payback. She's funny.

      BTW, she said thank you for the compliments.

      Delete
  3. Craig is quite a gentleman, standing up when Parker and Ember arrive. He also has the same attitude my husband had for wedding showers, baby showers, etc.: the women ooh and aah over all the gifts, then the guys show up at the end to pack everything in the car. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Craig is sweet. He isn't disappointed about not shopping in the least. But I guess Avery, who already knew that before she mentioned it, was being thoughtful.

      Delete
  4. Lol @ Avery's enthusiasm. Such a sweet episode. I'm glad the secret is out and more importantly that they are serious enough to want the secret out. #myfavoritecouple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jewell. I'm glad the secret is out too. Finally.

      Delete
  5. So glad Avery was just happy to see Parker happy even if she was slightly miffed at being in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Muff. Well, she at least got what she wanted, information. I'm sure she'll get over it.

      Delete
  6. I think Parker and Ember are a cute couple. I love the hair gel idea for the glasses, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. I don't even know why that hit me about the gel, but I'm glad it did. I'm always knocking things over. I don't know how many times the water glasses on the table fell over.

      Delete
  7. Surprise! I'm glad it turned out well for Ember and Parker. They are a sweet couple. Avery is too funny. I'm happy she got to speak her peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Avery didn't seem to appreciate not knowing, but hey, that ship has sailed. Time to move on.

      Delete
  8. Avery had me cracking up!! Lol! That is unfair that we have to wait for the gender of the baby.😔 I love her pretty blue dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Georgia Girl. Avery is not too happy with any of you right now, but I'm sure she'll find it in her heart to forgive. But, not fast enough to let you know the gender before the baby arrives.

      Delete
  9. Sorry Avery....... I'm happy everyone who needed to know now knows who Parker is dating. Go Ember :) Embers got a man at h _ _ _ LOL a lil song lyrics.

    ReplyDelete

Hi. I truly appreciate your reading my blog and your comments. I enjoy the interaction. As soon as I check to be sure your comment is not from a bot or some other unreliable source, it will be posted.

Have a great day!