Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Planning the Baby Shower

It is Saturday afternoon and Avery, Ember and Cyann are meeting at Avery's to start planning the baby shower.  Avery's father is in town and he and Craig have taken Aviana to the aquarium. They are meeting Grayson there, who is bringing his daughter, Brenna and Ember's daughter, Erwyn, who spent the night. 

Ember has already arrived and she and Avery are chatting while they wait for Cyann to arrive. 

Avery:  And how are things with Parker?  I'm not going to be nosey and ask too many questions, but I hope things are going well.
Ember (laughing):  Things are going well.  I'm very happy.
Avery:  Great!  What about Erwyn?  How is she with everything?
Ember:  She's fine.  When it gets a little warmer, we're going to all spend some time together.  She likes Parker, but I want to ease her into us all being a group, you know?
Avery:  Yes, I know.  Well, I am hoping that you will all start spending more time with us as well.  I know we've spent some time together, but I feel like the dynamic is changing with you dating my brother.  Does that make sense?
Ember:  Yes, it sure does.  Kind of like I'm concerned about the dynamic with Parker and Henna.  I don't think there will be any issues, but it does make things a little different.

Avery:  Exactly.  Well I'm routing for you! 
Ember:  Thank you.  So, how much shopping have you done for the baby so far?  Have you had a chance to look around and think about making a list?
Avery:  It's crazy, but as excited as I am about the baby getting here, I am not so motivated to do a lot of shopping.  I told Craig I was going to shop, but I've still been procrastinating. 
Ember:  You still have time, besides, that leaves people plenty to buy.  It would just be helpful if you would register. 
Avery:  I know.  There's this very nice baby boutique I've seen, but never been in downtown.  I hear they specialize in more gender neutral options.  That would be perfect. 
Ember:  That sounds good.  We can make arrangements to go check that store out.  We can have lunch, shop for clothes, check out some other stores.  It will be fun.

Avery:  That does sound like fun. 
Ember:  We need to do it before the shower, so motivated or not before you get there, hopefully you will be inspired when you arrive.
Avery:  I'm sure I'll be in love with lots of things.  Who can resist items for tiny people?

The door bell rings.  Ember tells Avery she'll get the door, it must be Cyann.  Ember answers the door and greets Cyann, who has brought Brooklyn with her.  Ember takes Brooklyn, who is sleeping, from Cyann  and they walk to the living room.

Avery:  Hey, Cyann.
Cyann:  Hey, Momma.  I see despite the fact that the air is on in here, you're having your own personal hot summer.
Avery:  What makes you think that?
Cyann:  The fan over there pointed at you and it seems to be on high.
Avery (laughing):  Oh yeah.  That would be a clue.  Girl, I'm a little warmer than usual.  You know how it is or should I remind of you of the ice cube incident when you were pregnant with Brooklyn.
Ember:  The ice cube incident?
Avery:  Shamefully I was just having a really hot day and I decided to add lots of ice cubes to already cold water and poor it over my head.
Ember (laughing):  Okay then.  Did it help?
Avery (laughing hard): It helped her alright, but those cubes were pretty hard hitting her head.
Cyann:  I ended up with a few small bruises and a cut, but at least I cooled down.  Grayson just shook his head when I told him and asked if she should lock up the freezer.  But that's neither here nor there.  Let's get to work.

Ember sets Brooklyn next to her on the floor and Cyann sits next to Avery.

Avery: I would say I miss Aviana being that small, especially when she was sleep like that.  But now I'm right back there again.
Cyann: You sure are.  I don't think I'm doing that again though.  I think two is enough for me.  What about you Ember?
Ember:  I would do it again.  At least once more.  I just loved being pregnant and getting ready to meet this new person I helped create. They are so cute and warm and smell great.
Avery:  Aww!  That's sweet.  Until you have another one, I love babysitters I can trust.  You can borrow this one.
Ember:  You have a deal. 
Cyann:  Speaking warm, it's not exactly that in here.  Let me give you a blanket to put over her. 

Cyann: So, on to the planning of the shower.  I thought about bringing a pad and paper at first, but then I realized I should use my trusty laptop.  I already have a planning document made up and ready for completion.  It will also keep us organized. 
Ember:  That sounds like Cyann, the party planner alright.
Avery:  She cracks me up, but I like it.
Cyann:  Yes, so the first thing I want to talk about is color scheme and then the guest list, then party favor ideas, and, of course, the menu.

Avery:  Are we sending save the date notices before we send invitations?  I was thinking we'd get them out this coming week.  I want to invite my mother and I think she needs notice.  I'm hoping she'll come.
Cyann:  Okay.  We can do that pretty quickly if we have e-mail addresses.  If not, that means mail and stamps.
Avery:  I think that will do.  I can always just call my mother.  I just thought she would love to get the invitation or something in writing.

Avery:  Ember, do you mind if I share with her that you and Parker are dating. 
Ember: I don't mind, but I want to be sure Parker is okay with it. 
Avery:  You're right.  I'll ask him if he's okay with it.  It's just information, I'm not expecting her to do anything, but I know she'd like to know he's happy.
Ember:  It's your family, so I will let you handle it. 
Avery:  Speaking of family, I want to be sure yours is invited to the shower.  Especially your aunt.  I love her spunk. 
Ember:  Yes, spunky is what she is.  I'm sure she'd love to come. 
Cyann:  That's an understatement.  But, let's focus, Ladies.  Back to the color.  Would you like something that matches the baby's larger items?  Like bedding or stroller options?  I don't know, I'm just trying to pick a theme. 

Avery:  Well, I have ordered a crib, mostly because Craig made me do it.  He said the baby definitely needs a place to sleep and then we had to choose something that would fit well in the room, so we placed an order.  So that's one less thing I need.  I want to choose the bedding myself, but everything else is on the table. 
Cyann:  So will the baby need a monitor?  That can go on the list.
Avery: I think so, but not right away.  I am getting a small cradle to sit next to my bed for the first few months.  I'm planning to breastfeed for a while, so I need the baby conveniently next to me.
Cyann:  That's good to know, for bottle needs.  Especially if you plan to pump too.
Avery:  I'll have to at some point so I can leave the house sometimes.
Ember: Yes, so I can babysit.


The ladies get back to planning the shower.  In case you're wondering, I have made a crib.  Man, what an undertaking, but I like the way it turned out.  Yes, you'll get to see it, just not today.

Thanks for stopping by. ~ Jaye

6 comments:

  1. Avery is looking great. I'm excited to see what you make for the shower. I hate that I didn't get to have one for Deirdre, but I should get another chance soon. I have a couple in mind to welcome a little one in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jewell, I need to get that knocked out, but I still am working on the baby store. Which is fine since people need to be able to shop for the shower.

      Hmmm, I wonder what couple will have a baby. Brandy and Tony perhaps? I am looking forward to it.

      Delete
  2. I can just see Parker's mom appearing in front of Ember all, "I understand you're seeing my son... and you have a child."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muff, I am wondering how Cora will act toward Ember too. That's if she even shows up for the shower. You know how selfish she is.

      Delete
  3. Nice... I know it will all look Great. The shower and baby area/room once they move. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's already the middle of June. I have to execute a shower and a wedding. I'm hoping I pull this shower together soon.

      Delete

Hi. I truly appreciate your reading my blog and your comments. I enjoy the interaction. As soon as I check to be sure your comment is not from a bot or some other unreliable source, it will be posted.

Have a great day!